About Marnie Hay:
As owner and co-founder of Redback Fitness, Marnie is passionate about helping people become the best version of themselves. With 17 years of teaching practice and wealth of experience working in the health and fitness industry, Marnie is constantly finding new ways to inspire and help those around her reach their fitness goals. As a life-long learner, she has sought out some of the leaders in her industry for mentoring and professional development and continues to strive for best practice in all of her sessions.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Movement) – Deakin Uni
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) – Deakin Uni
- Bachelor of Science (Psychology) – Deakin Uni
- Personal Trainer, Group Trainer, Gym Instructor
- High Performance Manager of Greensborough College Athletic Development Program
- Strength & Conditioning Coach (ASCA –level 1)
- 17+ Years teaching Psychology, PE & Health at Greensborough College.
- Metafit Coach qualified
- Level Two Boxing Instructor
- Level Two Kick-Boxing Instructor
- Level Two Basketball Coach
- Pre & Post-Natal Certified
- Level 2 First Aid
- Internship/ on-going affiliation with Core Advantage Athletic Development.
- Coursework & qualifications in Health and Wellness, Nutrition and Psychology.
- Up-to-date registration with Physical Activity Australia (PT insurance)
- Up-to-date Victorian Working with Children Check
Q&A with Marnie:
Where and when did your love for health and fitness first begin?
I always loved playing sport but I was actually a little ‘chubba’ when I was 11-13 y/o and received a few ‘negative’ comments about my weight and lack of speed. This fired me up! I began eating really well, researching nutrition and fitness, and exercised or played sports most days. I found it really helped get me to the next level in basketball and sure enough…the bully’s shut-up pretty quick too!
The older I get the more I realise just how important being fit & healthy really is. The last few years I have gone deep down the rabbit hole into optimising human performance, both physically & mentally. I honestly can’t get enough. Humans are totally fascinating! By being a life long learner & affiliating myself with some amazing people, I’ve learned so many useful things for my own health, fitness & longevity and I’m passionate to share it with whoever is striving to be the best version of themselves. I have so much still to learn and try…and I can’t wait.
Besides running around after your kids, how do you keep fit?
Nothing makes me smile more than playing sports with my kids, particularly basketball and footy. I also do a bit strength work and boxing. I love getting outdoors for a bit of cardio and have been know to cover a few kilometres in a pool, in the ocean, around the hills and trails, swimming, riding and running – love the biophilia! I compete in sprint & Olympic distance triathlons, now that my body is too old for high level basketball. I also throw in plenty of injury prevention & rehabilitative work, including yoga & meditation into that mix – it keeps me balanced, sane and ready for anything!
What do you love most about Redback Fitness?
Our clients are jets! We seem to attract THE NICEST PEOPLE! Our clients certainly help ensure that it never feels like ‘work’ to me. I also love the fact that we use FUN FITNESS GAMES. I love to laugh & have fun, who doesn’t? It makes me feel so good seeing everyone enjoy their workouts and get the results they want all whilst having fun & socializing with a group of terrific people. As a coach, teacher, trainer – there’s nothing is more satisfying than seeing people strive to be the best version of themselves. Being outdoors brings so many added benefits too, have I mentioned biophilia benefits? 😉
What are some of your strengths?
- I’m energetic and friendly
- I’m very passionate about helping people
- I have a thirst for knowledge on all thing ‘humans’
- I’m extremely persistent
- I’m fiercely independent.
- I’m not very patient, but I do work hard on this.
- My family tells me I am quite ‘bossy’ (but I think I just have better ideas!)
Favourite Redback Activities:
- ‘Roller Bowling’ (this game cracks me up, especially the ‘misses’)
- ‘Deal’ or ‘No Deal’ game
- Spiders Web circuits
- Noodle Tag games
- I’m completely biased, but I love everything we do.
Simple – Chocolate! For the record, I eat it in moderation 😉
- Will it alienate me if I say ‘exercise’? It is though… hehe
- Morning cuddles in bed with the kids. I should have said that first, shouldn’t I?
- Beach action with the kids, family & friends.
- Bike rides with the kids.
“The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away as much as possible” – William Shakespeare.